slide show

Sunday, June 5, 2011

We Survived THE GREAT WALL!

We made it to the Great Wall and represented with some local US shirts - Hello from BEIJING!!
I just love the English translations on the signs - this one was at the desk we bought tickets at to do the cable car up the Great Wall. Below you'll see our view from the cable car ... holy crap was THAT scary!! LOL. It went REALLY high up ... but once we were back on solid ground again, I was great. LOL.

This weekend is a holiday in China - Dragon Boat Festival - so there were lots (and lots and lots) of people everywhere. I am still in awe of how many people there are here!! You can see all of the people climbing (or descending) the Great Wall. Nuts!

This next shot is one of my favorites - not so many people, so you can actually see how beautiful the Wall is ... it's surreal to think of all the hard work that went into making this wall. There are over 10,000 miles of wall!

Here's our guide, Lisa, taking a rest with us. DH and I *thought* it would be easy to take the cable car up and then walk back down. Wrong. Very wrong. LOL. The steps are so steep and a lot of the down part is very uneven ramp thingys made of stone. Pretty tough to walk on. I felt like it was a huge accomplishment to walk DOWN the Wall after I was done. LOL. We were drenched in sweat and totally exhausted, but WOW what an experience. You definitely have to experience this - no way to really describe it properly. It's really just breathtaking.

I need to send out a big THANK YOU to Lisa for putting up with us - I had NO idea how much work it was going to be walking DOWN the Wall. LOL. She knew what was coming and went with the flow. She was really just marvelous!

1 comment:

  1. I was shocked at the workout I got doing that too. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete