slide show

Monday, December 26, 2011

A new tradition & Cinnamon Gingerbread Ornaments



We started a new tradition this year of a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree for the kids' homemade (or school/church-made) ornaments this year. It's on the small side and I think we'll have to replace it soon, but I love this idea of the kids having their own Christmas tree with their own ornaments. Isn't it cute? I put it in the basement where they would see it a lot while playing (and honestly, I was out of space on the first floor! LOL). I love their precious handmade crafts ... all of the hard work and love that goes into them ... oh they just brighten my day. But ... our tree is overwhelmed with "regular" ornaments ... all of the little pieces we have picked up through the years - the ornaments that remind us of our family memories - new milestones, vacations, special places, etc. So this was a great idea for us - a way for ALL of our special memories to be displayed!

Oh and I can now post about one of the fun crafts that we did this year - Cinnamon Gingerbread Ornaments! Oh boy do these smell delicious! I admit, they were a little messy and mildly labor intensive, but I think the results were worth it for our olfactory systems :-)


So here's the recipe/directions if you're interested:

Cinnamon Gingerbread Ornaments

3/4 cup cinnamon
1 tbsp allspice
2 tbsp cloves
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 cup applesauce

Combine first 4 ingredients and blend well. Stir in applesauce and mix well. Roll out 1/4 inch thick on ungreased cookie sheet (err to the thicker side - thinner ornaments break more easily). Cut with cookie cutters of different shapes. Put a tiny hole in top with a toothpick (I used a straw to make a bigger hole). Let dry 4 days (I put them on cooling racks - only took about 2-3 days). Put a string through hole and hang on Christmas tree. Can also make hearts for all year home ornaments. Smells wonderful.

Source: http://www.cooks.com

These are so amazingly scrumptious smelling ... but be careful with them, as they are extremely breakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment