slide show

Friday, December 16, 2011

{Advocating} The Gift of Home

Today I heard a song on the radio by Steven Curtis Chapman. It's a song that sums up every orphan's Christmas wish ... their prayer for a family. With Sunshine happily humming along in her car seat in the back, I cried. The lyrics really hit home for me because almost one year ago, we saw our daughter's face for the first time - right before Christmas. She didn't know it, but she had a family last Christmas and she will finally get to celebrate this Christmas at home.

The following aren't my words. But, they are the words of someone who has become very dear to me. They are the words of the very special person who opened our daughter's file, quickly typed in our names, and clicked a button, changing our lives forever. This very special person announced yesterday that she will be resigning her position as Adoption Director at our adoption agency at the end of this month so that she can stay at home with her toddler son. But, before she leaves, I'd really like to give her a very special gift--one very special match.

Please read and share this link. This Christmas, we want to see [Bo's] family say yes to bringing him home.


__________________________________________________________


Working in the field of adoption, I have read countless heartbreaking stories of the injustices children are forced to endure. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that each “referral,” each “document,” each “jpeg,” is a child. An actual child. Waiting. Is it easy to forget this fact after opening 3000+ attachments? Yes. Until God sends one of these “files” my way that forces me to take pause. To remember. This day, God sent [Bo] to me.



On an insignificant Tuesday, while searching the list of over 1,600 waiting children, I came across a birth date. A date that is so engrained in my heart, it immediately forced me to open this “file” to meet this “referral.” August 13, 2010. The day I gave birth to my first child, Murphy. One of the happiest days of my life. One of the most nerve-wracking days of my life. On August 13, 2010, I was happy-excited-nervous-scared-in pain-full of joy-exhausted. And, across the world, on August 13, 2010, I know [Bo’s] mother shared these same feelings. Though, her day ended much differently than mine.

I spent the night waking when Murphy woke. Doing my best to feed my baby, change my baby, and cater to his every need. I called the nurse many times throughout the night. Am I doing this right? Is he eating enough? My husband was right there with me, getting me water, cradling our new angel. It was hot and humid outside, and I was cool and comfortable in the hospital. I had all of the supports I could need. And after very little sleep, I awoke on August 14, 2010 to my beautiful baby boy.

On August 14, 2010, at not even 1 day old, [Bo] was on his own. Alone. During the night, after realizing that she could not provide the medical care her baby would need, [Bo’s] mother made the heartbreaking decision to give him a chance at life. Her only option was to leave him outside of an apartment building and hope that a good Samaritan would find him and take him to safety.

I think back to those first few days following Murphy’s birth. He had jaundice. They heard a heart murmur. I was a wreck. But, Murphy also had doctors, nurses, and state of the art medical equipment to care for him--not to mention a mother, father, and countless other people who already loved him and doted on him. Now, I find that I cannot stop thinking about [Bo] on those few days following his birth. The same exact days that Murphy and I experienced. But, [Bo] did not have doctors. He did not have nurses. He had no one.

God sent [Bo] to me. Murphy’s twin, in a way. [Bo] reminded me that each birth date, each “referral,” each “document,” each “jpeg,” are all Murphys–all children of God who deserve the love and support of a family.

Could you be [Bo’s] family?


__________________________________________________________





Wanna see his file? Please email Sarah and allow her to introduce you to this very special little boy.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this Nicole! Finding 'Bo's family would be the perfect way to end my wonderful 5 years with Living Hope. Thank you for advocating for him!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. break my heart in two! i would love to se this sweet baby boy find his family this year!!! having just had my heart crushed in two (again!) by walking those streets of China, Im ultra prayerful for the fatherless this Christmas season.

    And that song undoes me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah's words were both beautiful and tragic truth. I pray Bo's family is found swiftly. I am sharing the link to this post now.

    Oh, another song that does me in is a new one this year, it's TobyMac's Christmas This Year (Father to the fatherless). Definitely grab a hankie and wander over to YouTube to take a listen.

    Nicole, I emailed you a couple of days ago. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete