slide show

Thursday, March 29, 2012

It's the little things

It really is the little things that mean the most, don't you think?  I remember being in China last June and just studying Sunshine ... all of the little bits and pieces of her that I didn't have memorized.  I didn't realize that I had taken this for granted with the 2 older kids ... the fact that I knew every feature of their tiny little bodies almost immediately.  I remember getting both Angel and Lovebug home from the hospital and studying them, trying to find out about the new little beings that I had given life to.

It was different with Sunshine.  Although the studying and discovery process was the same, it came later.  376 days later.  A small amount of time in comparison to some of my friends' adoption stories.  But the time without her meant I had a lot of catching up to do.  There were a host of scars and marks that I didn't know anything about.  I didn't know any of her mannerisms.  All the curves of her face, the way her toes curled up, the shapes of her fingers, her eyes, her ears, her belly button, her birth mark, and her sweet un-repaired cleft lips ... all of these things needed to be studied and memorized.

10 months later, I can say I've had plenty of time to make these discoveries and memorize every teeny little part of her precious body.  I know all of her mannerisms.  I can close my eyes and imagine her waddle around the house with her fingers in her mouth.  I know how her little fingers wrap themselves around her cup.  I know the teeny curves of her belly button and sometimes think about how that part of her body was once attached to her birth mama.  I know how her tiny hands clasp together as we pray before meals.  I know how she pokes herself when I ask her where her eye is.  I watched the scar form on her lip and helped her recover from surgeries.  And I smile just thinking about her joyful little smile and how she can light up a room with it.














Today I am thankful that I get to be Sunshine's mama ... there are still lots of discoveries to be made as this precious beauty blooms into the little person God intended.  And I plan to soak in every single one.


16 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL, Beautiful, beautiful post! I love it! You are such an incredible photographer- it just brings her to life before my eyes! I hope you don't mind my "stealing" this idea... If I can get my son to cooperate with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, you are so sweet! Yes of course, steal away my friend! I love macro photography and hardly ever pull out my macro lens ... it's good to shake things up every now and then! Of course throwing in a very mobile toddler makes things interesting for hitting focus, but that's why digital photography is such a blessing ... I just keep shooting! :-)

      Delete
  2. SO precious! Love every inch of that little Sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, I love these photos! I have ZERO talent behind a camera...so little in fact, I only have my cell phone ( to be fair, it does take 8MP photos LOL )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've captured every little inch of your Sunshine. She's just darling. Every little inch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be still my melting heart!!! How beautiful is that....God is so amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post & gorgeous photos. Those tiny toes just get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, beautiful I love the details. What a sweet little girl. I found you from the link up. you have such a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such perfect beautiful littleness! Fabulous pictures hun x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photo's of your little "Sunshine" are absolutely GORGEOUS! She is adorable! I am a first time visitor (thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday). As a newcomer to photography I am always "studying" the photo's of amazing photographer's like yourself. Marco photography is one that I am so interested in, however, have not yet been brave enough to "go there" yet. I would love to know what type of camera and lens you use and any other "pointers" you may like to share when it comes to "macro" photography.
    God Bless,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane for your sweet comments! The complete collection of my gear is listed below on the right, but for these shots I used my 5dMkII with my 100mm macro f/2.8. It's an awesome lens for only about $600 I think. I actually don't do much macro photography myself so I don't know if I can offer any words of wisdom, but having the right lens will make a world of difference, that's for sure! Good luck and God Bless you and your family!

      Delete
  10. Nicole,
    So so precious. We are home with our daughter and I stare at her all the time. In China I would watch her sleep wondering what was going on in that head of hers. Sometimes she is happy, then she will be soooooo upset and sad cry. Hard to watch her grieve. Hoping it will get better in the next few weeks. Tomorrow Mia will be with us for 2 weeks. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be still my heart...those pictures are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful, Nicole! She is just precious!

    ReplyDelete