slide show

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Final thoughts about Mexico


It's hard to believe, but the last day of our Mission Trip is here.  After being immersed in life in Mexico, it will be interesting to go back home.  I wonder how all of us will be changed.  I know that as a group, we started as 11 people who didn't really know each other.  Although certainly brothers and sisters in Christ always, we were perfect strangers to each other in most ways.  I think we will all agree with 100% certainty that we are strangers no more ... friends for life that share a unique bond.  Not only did we work together in so many ways, we shared more than usual with each other ... LOL.

I was personally able to get to know each one of my teammates, and for that I am truly thankful.  Although I know we will go back to our separate lives, we will always share the special bond of this trip together.  We all grew and changed, and helped each other do it.  We shared God's love in real, tangible ways with people who didn't know Him.  We planted seeds in two different cities and connected with people despite a language barrier.

We also made new friends in a different country and saw a beautifully different way of life ... although more difficult in many ways, it's a simpler life where God is the center.  Where family and friends come first.  Where strangers are not forgotten and people make time for each other.  Where relationships are more important than the most recent DVR or Facebook status update.  My prayer for myself is that I can emulate a life more like that - where I walk humbly with Jesus and have time for Him, my family and friends.

This trip has definitely left me with much to think about.  There are many things that can suck up my time and take away from Jesus and relationships ... the computer is definitely the main source ... Facebook, blogging, checking in with my bloggy friends, editing, work, etc.  In many ways, the computer is just a thing that fills up my time, making other more important things take a back seat.  The computer competes with my time for Jesus.  Although I always knew that to an extent, it was kind of right in my face in Mexico.  Part of the problem is that I do, in fact, need the computer for some things.  But there are many, many things I don't need it for.  I need to try and find a balance and this trip away has made me see that even more.  I will definitely not stop blogging ... but there must be a happy medium somewhere.  Much to think about for sure.  Now off the blog to go bake cookies with Angel!

1 comment:

  1. Just peeking around and catching up on the Mission Trip. Thanks for blogging and inspiring us, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete