slide show

Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's far better to give

About a month ago, DH organized a service project with our small group.  We put together care packages for the homeless.  The packages were meant to be kept in our cars so that we could give them out as needed to people we saw as we were driving.  We all helped pitch in and bought different things to add to the packages - reusable shopping bags were filled with non-perishable food items, water bottles, new socks, toothbrushes, tubes of toothpaste, bar soaps, rain ponchos, and copies of the New Testament.  We also wrote small notes of encouragement and the kids in our group drew pictures to add to the packages.

The project was a great success!  I gave out my last bag today on my way home from a session in the city.  He was a young guy with an easy smile and was very graceful.  I wish I had asked what his name was so I could pray for him by name, but I know God will know who I am mean :-)  I went to the store today to buy more supplies for more bags and filled them up.  I also had a pretty adorable little helper!



I wanted to share this post because I know I typically post about adoption-related stuff.  And although there are way too many orphans in the world that need to be cared for, there are also people in need right here in our city too.  This is a simple, but needed way to serve and I love having these care packages on hand.  I thought some of you might also like the idea and want to do it too, so I'm passing it on.  And if you think about it, please pray for the man I ran into today the next time you're talking to God :-)

For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.  Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you? Then he will answer the, 'Truly I say to you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'  Matthew 25:43-45

6 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! And what an adorable helper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little helper and a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and am going to share it with our small group this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly an example of 'living out His love'!! Such a sweet photo, too! :) My first visit from Katie's site ... it's all been so encouraging! Have a beautiful week in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! There are so many ways to help right in our own cities. Good for you for jumping in with a practical project right where you are.

    As always, I want to reach through the screen and hug that cutie of yours.

    Thanks for directing me here, friend.

    ReplyDelete