slide show

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Milk!


I caught her at dinner signing for "milk" - too cute! I love that she is picking up signing, being able to communicate with her is huge! Of course, now she wants milk *all* the time but that's ok! LOL. I think she may have picked up the sign for "cereal" too, which we're using for Cheerios. It's so relieving to have a form of communication with her, considering that she literally couldn't talk if she wanted to right now.

Some of the other signs are more difficult for her to do, but for now, we're working on juice, waffle, yogurt, sleep, eat, thank you, play and toy. She also definitely knows "no" (LOL) and we're working on "yes" also. I'm so excited for her - she's one smart little gal!

If anyone is interested in teaching signs to their children - here is the book I have been using: Teach Your Tot to Sign by Stacy A. Thompson. It's really a fantastic book - I bought it when Angel was a baby and we used it with her, Lovebug, and now Sunshine! We are obviously using it for true needs with Sunshine, but it was fantastic for teaching non-special needs kids a few signs also!

7 comments:

  1. She is so darling! How wonderful that she is learning to sign. Maybe it will snowball once she understands that she is really communicating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! We really should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole! What books or resources did you use to learn signing to teach Brooklyn? We didn't do that with our boys, but I'd love to do it with Grace. I'd love any suggestions you might have! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! She is ADORABLE!! I just got done reading your blog (Angie Weldon) gave me your link! I was tearing up especially at your homecoming, I was especially emotional because we just submitted LOI for our sweet baby girl with unrepaired cl/cp.
    My heart aches to get to her! Evidently, you, Angie and I are all local. I am in Elkton, MD! :)
    We are hoping to bring our sweet girl home by Christmas!! PRAYING SO!!!
    Thank you for sharing your precious story, GOD IS GOOD! Oh, and I LOVED your packing list! Thank you!
    Your daughter is beautiful, I love her round face and smiley eyes! so pretty!
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat! Brooklyn is darling. Thanks for sharing that we will definitely be using that with our newest girl who is CL/CP but has unrepaired palate and other needs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so great. Isn't communication great? (and you know I am serious lol). That is a great idea for CL/CP kiddos to teach them sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT is awesome!! We used signing to bridge to communication gap with Mya too (& she was almost 3!) milk, water, eat, more, sleep....I need a refresher course, so might have to get that book!

    ReplyDelete