slide show

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

One Week Pre-Op


We are one-week pre-op for the palate repair surgery ... again.  Ugh.  If you remember the last scheduled palate repair (that didn't end up happening), you'll recall that our Sunshine was one sick little girl.  For like all of the winter basically, but specifically for the month leading up to her scheduled surgery.  So sick that we had to postpone.  The postponement is finally upon us.  Mixed feelings from this Mama, as usual.  I'll be glad when this is behind us but my stomach is in knots over putting our girl through such pain.

The surgery starts at 7:30am next Tuesday (we have to arrive at 6:00am) ... I'm pretty sure she'll be in for several hours for the surgery.  And then recovery after that.  Oh recovery.  I have flashbacks of the tortures of the recovery room, it's just not a fun or pleasant place when your child is restrained and disoriented, with things attached to or stuck in her, all over her body, and in so much terrible pain.  She'll be on a pain pump and be in the hospital at least overnight to control the pain.  Many kids stay more than one night, but I have convinced myself that Sunshine is a very strong girl and will only be staying one night.  End of discussion :-)

Will you please pray along with me for Sunshine's comfort, peace and healing?  This is a tough surgery, but I know our Heavenly Father's hands are the safest place she can be.  Please also keep me in your prayers ... I know that sounds self-serving but I asked for prayers of patience, compassion and grace last time, and it worked.  This mama needs all the help she can get!  It is so very hard to help your child through a painful surgery and recovery (especially while she is restrained with no-nos and on a very restricted diet!).

Thank you so very much for your support through this!  We have an exciting week ahead thank goodness, so there is a lot to keep my mind off the surgery!  We're heading for a surprise visit to the beach tomorrow for the 4th - just overnight but we are planning for a full day's fun!  We are also celebrating with a very, very special couple on Sunday as they are finally united in marriage!  DH and Sunshine are both in the wedding, and we are so thrilled to be a part of their day and all of the weekend festivities!!

(I won't be updating the blog on the day of the surgery, but I will be updating Facebook.  If you'd like to follow along, head on over and "like" the page - Living Out His Love.)

6 comments:

  1. girl, you know I will be on my knees for you and that sweet sweet sunshiny baby girl! I can totally understand and sympathize with EVERYTHING you are feeling. But, take heart.....God does not let you go through it without feeling his ultimate and complete presence...as I am sure you know.:) Praying for strength, compassion, mercy, grace and fast recovery and healing. Love you, girl! ugh, I hate that they have to go through with this....really hate it. But, God is good...all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have enjoyed following your blog, as we brought home our daughter from China two years ago with cl/cp. A few things that helped get us through the palate recovery period: (1) letting our daughter push the buttons on the blender to have control over turning her food into the required baby food consistency and (2) adding a little cream to make it taste better (if dairy isn't an issue). We also broke our no-movies rule while eating - it distracted her enough to let us get some food in with the soft baby spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be praying for you and Sunshine next week, that all will go perfectly, that she feels very little pain and that you have strength and peace through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely praying for you! I so know. :) It's going to great though. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the most effective means of quick solution is prayer. but we must exercise patience.

    Pastor Dan, http://shameguilty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most effective means solution is prayer but we must exercise patience. pastor Dan

    http://shameguilty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete