slide show

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The dentist

Sorry, no pictures for this post ...

But I wanted to tell everyone about Sunshine's first dentist appointment, which she really needed!  I had been dreading a dentist appointment for her, especially given her oral sensitivities.  But I knew it needed to be done because she is so difficult to work with when brushing her teeth and when I am able to get a glimpse into her mouth, well I'm pretty sure I was seeing some plaque on those adorable back teeth of hers.

When I asked the surgeon about a dentist appointment during her palate repair pre-op appointment, he told me to hold off until after the surgery.  Well after the surgery was postponed, I knew I didn't have an excuse to wait anymore.  Sunshine's surgeon had actually given me the name of a dentist associated with a local hospital that could sedate her if needed ... seriously, THAT'S how much I was worried about a dentist appointment for her!  Poor thing - if I were her, I surely would not want anyone in my mouth either!

Anywho, to make a longwinded story a little shorter, I went ahead and scheduled with the kids' pediatric dentist because he put me at ease and explained to me that he'd be done cleaning her teeth by the time it would take someone just to sedate her.  Soooo ... after a terrible night's sleep for me, off we went to the dentist yesterday morning.

And although it was about as traumatic as I expected, the hygienist was finished up in about 5 minutes with her and was so. unbelievably. awesome.  I thought for sure she'd get flustered with me having to restrain her ... or the screaming ... or the thrashing ... but nope, she just kept plugging along as quickly and gently as possible.  And after Mr. Dentist had a quick look in her mouth, they both agreed that not only did Sunshine do a phenomenal job, but they also said that her teeth are in great shape!  And she actually has all of her teeth too, woohoo!  They reassured me over and over, and told me that she totally rocked her appointment.  Yay for Sunshine's courage!  (P.S. - I will also say that Mr. Dentist agreed that Sunshine is, in fact, quite difficult to work with, and he understood why I was concerned.  Nothing like having your feelings at least a little validated!)

So, a new toothbrush, several dentist goodies, and a lot of mama sweat later, we were headed back out the door with clean teeth!  At least I don't have to worry about that again for 6 more months!

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!!! great job sunshine! and great job momma!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Yay for her courage...and yay for yours (just as important). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray!

    Glad you made it through the appointment!!! And with good news to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for Sunshine!!! Glad to hear you all survived and received such a great report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your blog. It is so beautiful and I am so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete