slide show

Monday, December 17, 2012

Tradition

In the midst of such terrible tragedy here in the U.S., I find myself clinging onto my kids a lot longer ... not "sweating the small stuff" ... and even being happy that the kids are waking up earlier than normal.  (If you don't know me, that's pretty amazing ... I love my sleep!)  I was also relieved and elated for a traditional celebration yesterday that's seven years running.  Although in some ways, it is unspeakably difficult to go on with our lives, celebrating, being happy, knowing that 27 other families are grieving a loss that we cannot even begin to fathom.  But in some other small way, I have comfort in knowing that these precious children of God are dancing in Heaven with Jesus today.  Their pain is no longer and they have a joyful peace that we can only imagine.  As I see all of the news articles pouring onto my computer screen, I am trying my best to study their pictures and memorize their beautiful faces.

So as I gaze upon these ten gorgeous faces, I am even more thankful for all that He has given us.  Five of these little treasures were part of the beginning of our small group so long ago.  Since then, they have doubled by adding five more siblings to their number. Although we no longer meet for small group anymore, we get together every year for our traditional Thanksgiving (or Christmas) dinner.  Most of the kids only see each other this one time, but the way they are able to pick like they saw each other last week is remarkable.  It's truly a gift from Heaven to see them together year after year ... to see them interact and play together.  To see the way they've changed and grown into little people.  Oh how it warms this mama's heart!

And of course, the company of their parents that I was so desperately excited for was just amazing.  In the same way as the children, picking up with friends after a year at a time, without skipping a beat, is so very special.  Such a gift they are to us!  Thank you dear friends for continuing on this tradition year after year!  It means so much to us!


Here was our group dinner in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tradition!!!! I just LOVE having traditions and this one seems just lovely and FUN!

    ReplyDelete