slide show

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Oh my, 1st Speech Therapy Session

In trying to stay positive, it can only get better from here, right?  Lisa, Sunshine's new ST, came today for the first time.  Although things went okay at first, they went downhill quickly.  Lisa mostly just observed, only trying to ask Sunshine a few questions here and there.  Sunshine completely stonewalled her, ignoring just about everything asked of her.  She didn't even answer my questions ... questions I know she can answer easily.  And after we had put away the 57th game that Sunshine requested to have pulled out, she was not at all interested in looking at a book when asked.  (Books are her most favorite things, mind you ... she always has her face in a book!)


She was so not interested that it led to whining ... which led to passively trying to kick me ... which led to time away to think.  It only escalated from there because she refused to say sorry for kicking me.  Oy.  Lisa stayed until after the tantrum ended (we certainly didn't want Sunshine thinking that a tantrum would get Lisa to leave!) and we made an appointment for next week.  For now, we are meeting once a week, although may increase to more if we aren't seeing progress.  After the Physical Therapy experience, I kind of new Speech wouldn't be a walk in the park.  Let's hope she is more interested next week?

Here's a quick iPhone video of Sunshine just 30 minutes later ... reading a book to herself.  Really?!  LOL.



And then, in God's perfect timing, I got this note from a super-precious, sweet local homeschool mama friend:

"Hi Nicole,

Last night I was up feeding the baby around 2:30 am and when I got back in bed starting to fall asleep I had an interesting experience. It was like I was hearing you and the Lord having a conversation. I heard your voice saying 'But Lord, I feel so discouraged, l'm not doing a very good job here.' And then I heard Him say back to you 'My daughter, I love you. You are doing a great job parenting and I am proud of you. I want to encourage you, I love you so much. You are doing a wonderful job. I am here with You.' I hope this encourages you today!"

Yeah, the tears flowed down my face after I read that note, let me tell ya!  After the difficult speech therapy session, it couldn't have come at a better time.  God always knows!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! The speech therapist might need to just up her game next week in order to get your daughter interested. Maybe she is afraid the therapist is going to take her away. Who knows? Just hang in there! Sorry for a stressful visit. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome to have a friend listen to The Lord and send you that encouraging note at just the right time!! Praying that next week Sunshine is much more communicative with her speech therapist!

    ReplyDelete