slide show

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer School

Yes, they aren't thrilled about it.  But summer school is in session here at our house.  It takes less than an hour a day, but is so important.  We are still playing a bit of catch-up for Angel from when we made the switch to homeschool last year.

There were quite a few language arts/english concepts that she hadn't learned (or had learned but not retained), so we went through the first and second grade FLL and WWE work this year.  We'll be finishing up with most of it by the end of July, but will be continuing with writing studies clear through to the start of the upcoming school year.  She will also be finishing up the rest of her second grade math work at the end of this month (same issue - just playing a bit of catch-up).  At that point, she'll be caught up and 100% ready for her third grade curriculums!  She's also doing weekly violin lessons through the summer :)

And for Lovebug, we are jumping into All About Reading's Pre-Reading Program.  He seems to like it much more than The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, which we worked through last year.  It's much more interesting with multiple sensory learning opportunities, and seems to grab his attention better.  I think Ordinary Parent's Guide was a little too bland for him, I'm hoping he'll retain more by trying this new curriculum.  I'm not on a set schedule with him for the summer though, but we'll get through as many lessons as we can before starting Kindergarten in the Fall.




3 comments:

  1. I just got AAR's Pre-reading program for my little ones (to start in the fall) and am so happy to hear that Lovebug likes it so far!! There are so many choices out there so it's reassuring to hear of others who like the same thing. You are doing such a great job homeschooling for your first year. I still have another year before Kindergarten, so we are just dabbling in it. I like the structure of having a fun, preschool time each day with my three little ones and am actually missing it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard wonderful things about All About Spelling, so I bet All About Reading is great too. I want to hear how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the All About Spelling with my older kids and we all really like it. I will be interested to hear your opinion as you work through the AAReading program. I'm considering it for my little bitties in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete