slide show

Sunday, July 7, 2013

My old girl

She's been with me for thirteen wonderful years.  I brought her home when I was only 20, still in college.  She has lived with me in six different homes, and has left her mark on each one.  She is the sweetest, most loyal friend, albeit a bit crazy and needy.  Seriously, she is crazy (and needy) ... just ask any of my family members.  Between the ear infections, the ear hematomas/lancings, ear surgery, bloody tails, pee stains, separation anxiety, doggy prozac meds, slobbery dog crates, chewed doors, chewed shoes, chewed underwear (yes, and I could continue the "chewed" list for quite awhile), along with all of the stinkiness that is Taylor ... well it's been an interesting thirteen years.

She has the sweetest, gentlest, most loving soul.  She has always been there for me, and driven me crazy at the same time.  She's made me laugh, and been the comic relief I sometimes needed.  I loved her from the first moment I met her.  She has brought so much joy to my life, and been the best doggie friend a girl could ask for.  Very sadly though, it's time for me to say goodbye to her.  This week we found out she has an aggressive cancer that can't be fixed.  Although surgery is a possibility, it will only prolong her life by months.  With her older age and general lethargy, it didn't seem fair to put her through surgery for a few months extra ... only to have the cancer just come back again.

So this coming week, I will say goodbye to my sweet girl.  She's given me thirteen great years.  It makes me sad, but I know in my heart that it's the compassionate thing to do.  And she's made it clear that she's ready, which gives me peace.  I've been loving on her as much as possible, as well as taking a ton of pictures over the last few days.  It's been good to have the chance to say goodbye. I know many people don't get that opportunity, so for that I am very thankful.






3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. crying tears reading this... i have an old pup that I feel this exact way about and i know that he is nearing the end of his days here too. it's so sad that they live such short lives but the sweetness and the innocence and the joy that pups exude is worth ever tear! hugs to you as you say goodbye to your sweet pup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I read this and tears are streaming. I lost my dog almost 1 yr ago and he was our baby for 9 years. He also had a very aggressive cancer.
    I wish you happy memories. This is not easy but sometimes the right things aren't . Blessing during this tough week. The Rainbow Bridge will be a better place.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you...I cannot imagine knowing that you are at the end. My parents kept their dog alive for just 2-3 extra months so my DD could meet her. It was heartbreaking to know that my dad carried her down the stairs to go outside just so his granddaughter could know their "puppy". My thoughts are with you as you go down this sad path. Enjoy the wagging tail and slobber while you still have it.

    ReplyDelete