slide show

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homeschool Planning


I am in the thick of planning the last half of our homeschool year.  I honestly can't even believe that the first half is already over, I don't know where the time has gone!  I've had a chance to reflect over those first few months though and make some changes/add more things in.  I am really super-duper excited about what we're doing in the next several months.

One of the main differences is that I am actually planning ahead ... not just a few days ahead like before but months ahead.  Some of the planning is just a matter of opening up to the next pages in the book (Math, some of the English, etc.), but the really cool stuff requires more forethought.  I'm completely finished planning through the middle of March right now, so I'm a little more than halfway there.  I've been able to do lots of research and plan even more fun and educational activities to tie into our memory work at CC ... mostly relating to our history, science and art work.  I'll be finishing up the rest of the year's plan by the end of this week and there are so many awesome projects I cannot wait to work on with the kids!  I also purchased the Primer curriculum from Math U See for Lovebug ... I am interested to compare it to the teaching style of Math Mammoth.

I also bought tickets to several cultural events - we'll be seeing the Peking Chinese Acrobats, a live performance of The Wizard of Oz, a symphony rendition of Peter and the Wolf, a fun and energetic "Math Maniac" performance and Jabali African dancers. My mom is going with us too, so I'm even more happy about sharing these events with her!

We also just signed up for a local athletic club that has TONS of kid activities ... they'll finally be doing swim lessons and Lovebug will be taking Tae Kwon Do after that.  They have a free homeschool group class a couple times a week that teaches sports and also give the kids free time to socialize and hang out.  And in the event that Sunshine gets comfortable enough to be left in the kid area, I can work out and take yoga classes or pilates classes ... oh the possibilities are endless!  Mostly we joined for the kids, but I'm excited about the prospect of eventually getting some "me" time too!

So in a nutshell, we have several nice additions to the last half of the homeschool year that I am so thrilled about!  I've been pinteresting like a maniac and filling in lots of dates on the calendar.  Eeeeek!  There's nothing like being excited over your homeschooling plan, lemme tell ya.  I'm starting to get the hang of the homeschooling mom thing and I gotta say, I totally dig it.

4 comments:

  1. You are officially the Rock Star Homeschool MOM. LOL We use Math U See and LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!! I plan on using it all the way through it gives a very good foundation for math and a very good understanding for it. My oldest is finishing up Gamma and will start Delta soon. :)Corbin just finished the Primer and loved it too. :) Happy New Year Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We signed up for swimming lessons too, they start tomorrow!! Excited about that. Where are you seeing Peter and the Wolf? The BSO is having Peter and the Wolf in April I believe, like they did the Nutcracker, if you're interested. We want to go to that because my boys LOVE Peter and the Wolf. But I'm curious where you're seeing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the midst of planning our 2nd half of the year as well, with a more intentional focus on nature study & field trips - something we just didn't get to at all during the first half of the year. We are excited to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homeschoolign ROCKS!!!!!!! We MUST do a field trip together! wish I had known about these events!!!
    We'll have to do the zoo or something together in the spring!

    ReplyDelete