slide show

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Her Story


I returned from the Created 4 Care retreat late Sunday night. Wow, my head is spinning with all of the information I took in. I still have a lot to sort out, but one theme that really stuck with me is telling Sunshineʼs story in a way that is respectful and considerate to her. Telling it in a way that is sensitive to her perspective and honors her past. Why had I never given this the thought it deserved? This breakout session really made me think, and Iʼm hoping a post about it might help others too.

Iʼve already messed this up, so I want to do my best to get it right going forward. Itʼs her story. Not my story, but her story. Iʼve always been open to sharing about her referral and what we know about her time in China because I think the details are beautiful. I think the way God weaved her into our family is gorgeous and should be shared. I also want to help other adoptive mamas to understand the adoption process, and I foolishly thought telling her story would do that.


What I didnʼt think about was how sharing those details might make her feel in the future. I didnʼt think about how she might not see those details the same way I do. How the way I shared might undermine the beauty of her being my daughter and make her feel like less than the amazing little person she is. As her mama, that is surely the last thing Iʼd ever want her to feel. I cringe as I think about how easily I have talked about her story. No, I fortunately have not shared the most intimate details. I am thankful I had enough forethought to not do that. But, the details of her time in China, no matter how small, before she came home to us, as well as how she came to us, are hers, not mine or even our family’s.


Even though she is still too young to understand and truly grasp what happened, her story is still her story. I didnʼt think about the fact that sharing would be taking away her ability to tell her own story when she is ready. I didnʼt think about how insensitive it was for me to tell her story without her consent. I didnʼt think about how she might want me to answer questions about her past. I didn’t think that she might prefer to be simply “my daughter,” instead of “my daughter who was adopted from China.” Why didn’t I think about any of this?


Long hours of traveling home gave me long hours to wrestle with all of this. For the first time, I’ve been confronted with my insensitivity. And, it wasn’t easy. In some ways, I feel like I let her down. I owe my daughter an apology and need to ask her for forgiveness as I promise her to put forth my best effort to get it right from now on. I will be more guarded with the details of her past. Because they are the details that make up her past, not mine. She is her own person and deserves to share the way she wants to when she is ready. I want to empower her by giving her the words she needs to share for herself. We will help her learn to tell her own story through books, conversations, and the use of a Life Book so that she can share if she wants to. And if she doesnʼt want to share? Well thatʼs perfectly fine too. Because itʼs her decision, not mine.



(Shared at Death by Great Wall)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks you for writing this post! I had not thought of this and will be mindful as we writeourjourney and daughters story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciated Carissa's book-- I love the honor that it brings to the child and her story! No matter how much we try to do things "right" we will all get it wrong sometimes though. I know that Father God "has your back" in this Renee, and your sweet Sunshine's back! You can rest in that as you think about what you should have done differently. Have fun making her Life Book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post - it's so beautiful and eloquent and your love for her just shines through! I am in a similar boat. Shared too much, with too many, too early, regarding Li'l Empress. This time around, we are sharing less and frankly, the nature of Mei Mei's need makes that easy to do. BUT! I also think that the balance for each family is so different and how to achieve that balance and the mistakes we make along the way are totally covered by HIS GRACE and HIS MERCY for the season where we are learning. WHILE we are learning! So grateful for how He brought that message to me:

    For a long time, I felt heavy hearted by the way that I had "overshared" and another BTDT mom shared the Truth with me that HE knew it all before it happened. He knew how He wired me, He knows how I learn and how I process. And that HE loved Li'l Empress far more than I did so HE had my back and was more than capable of covering my errors along the way. I had a similar message spoken over me in the early days of parenting regarding the mistakes I made as a young mom. I just needed that sweet friend to come alongside me and remind me of the same Truth regarding this new and different season of parenting.

    LOVE that you are open to His correction and ready to move forward to do it better and healthier. But don't beat yourself up - He's got your back :) And hers :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your heart is open and sensitive to your daughter's story. New light, new thoughts, new perspective...so good and so very God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...lots of food for thought and great timing too as we prepare to bring home another bundle of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I missed your beautiful blog? I agree and fear I've overshared as well. It really is their story. So hard to separate what's theirs and ours when they are little.

    ReplyDelete