slide show

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ripe!

A few veggies from our garden that are ripe enough to pick, yay! Angel got a little overzealous for the first picture - can you tell she's excited?

More tomatoes - romas above and grape below.
An annoying pest - beetle traps are going up today!
This is the first time I've grown broccoli - I'm excited to see how they turn out. There's a lot - more than should be here, so we'll see what happens.
Below is the beginning of a pepper - the plant kept moving on me so it's not completely in focus.
Here's the whole garden! Or most of it anyway - I had the 100mm macro on my camera for obvious reasons, but because it's a fixed focal length, I couldn't back up far enough to get the whole thing in the frame. We have 6 tomato plants (4 romas, 1 big boy, 1 grape), lots of broccoli, red & green pepper, sweet potatoes (the vine-y stuff on the front left), a few carrots (that are getting buried by the sweet potatoes) and a huge zucchini plant!
This last shot is kohlrabi (not from our garden - it came from the crop share). I have never had kohlrabi (actually to be honest, I had never heard of it until a month ago, LOL). DH grilled it up last night but it was just too tough/hard to eat. It tastes like white potato and has a similar consistency, but it really needs to be cooked waaaay more to be edible. Lesson learned at least - we like it but it needs to be cooked ... a lot.
So far so good with the garden (and with the crop share!). I spent several hours this morning cleaning, chopping and freezing veggies. I have 3 dinners worth of green/yellow beans, 1 dinner of zucchini, 2 cups of minced/chopped zucchini for zucchini bread (or maybe zucchini pancakes?) and 1 dinner of chopped carrots.

My mom and I also picked 2 more dinners' worth of green/yellow beans and I have more carrots to work on as well. I'm loving all of this fresh stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment